What to Wear for your Hawaii Family Portrait Beach Session
I know that figuring out what to wear can feel like the most stressful thing about having family portraits taken. This post is meant to guide and inspire you, and hopefully take some of that stress off! But keep in mind that it is not an exact formula nor is it a prescription of what you HAVE to wear.
The most important thing to remember is to keep it clean and simple, relaxed and comfortable. Keep outfits soft, warm and easy - that way, we can focus all of our time on your family and the connection you have with one another.
- Solid colors always photograph well. There's no risk of distracting from faces, joyful interactions or even the beautiful Hawaii scenery.
- Ladies: look for soft, natural fabrics that drape and flow. These make for beautiful portraits and give a sense of motion.
- Choose colors to pick up the beautiful colors of the ocean and sunset. Neutrals such as soft pinks, cream, muted blues, soft greens and white all photograph extremely, blending effortlessly with the natural elements rather than competing with them.
- When in doubt select one patterned outfit for a single person in the family and then pull colors from that pattern to dress everyone else in solid colors to coordinate.
- Don't worry about shoes. Plan on being barefoot as shoes in the sand aren't really practical and look a little odd. In fact, please don't bring nice sandals to the beach! Sand is pretty good at getting everywhere.
- Bring a change of clothes or backup shirt/bottoms for little ones and a towel. Someone inevitably gets a bit wet and sandy from the ocean sprays or surprise dips in the ocean!
Where to Shop:
- For mom: H&M, Old Navy, J. Crew, Forever 21
- For dad: J. Crew, Zara, Gap, H&M, Target
- For kids and baby: Zara, Target, Baby Gap, Old Navy
Want more inspiration?
I’m not saying you need to look exactly like this.
In fact, I count on each family adding their own twist and personality to these suggestions to bring their session to life. This is meant to be used for inspiration and to help guide you. At the end of the day, it’s really not about the clothing. I’m going to be capturing your FAMILY and that’s the most important thing. So don’t stress, just have fun with it!
Will you be vacationing on the Big Island of Hawaii soon? What better way to capture your family than with a sunset photo session on one of the beautiful beaches in the Waikoloa / Puako area. I'd love to capture memories you'll cherish forever.